This weekend we experienced our first blizzard in Des Moines, which meant I didn’t get to my Christmas shopping– but it did call for a lot of time spent cuddled up watching Christmas movies next to the fire and baking yummy holiday treats. We used the following recipe for White Chocolate Gingerbread Bars was found in our daily paper. Trust me when I tell you, it will taste like Christmas in your mouth.
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons (10 tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup molasses
1 cup white chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9X13-inch pan with foil, then spray it with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside. In a medium bowl, mix flour, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, baking soda and salt; set aside.
2. In large mixing bowl, cream together the butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar.
3. Add the eggs one at a time, beating just to combine after each addition.
4. Mix in the vanilla and molasses.
5. Add in the flour and spice mixture and gradually combine.
6. Stir in white chocolate chips by hand.
7. Press the dough into prepared pan and bake until golden brown and a toothpick comes out mostly clean, about 20-25 minutes.
8. Drizzle with melted white chocolate if desired. (I’d say this is a MUST.)